Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Collecting Vinyl

Sunflower, in collaboration with her father, got me a record player yesterday. I think it's because at some point I said, "You know, it's a good thing I don't have a record player, because I'd have to spend all my money collecting indie records." And I'm pretty sure I said that because I took an online quiz several months back.

I am an indie snob!



How indie are you?
test by ridethefader

You're just too cool for school, aren't you? You're pretty narrow minded
and opinionated with regards to music (and probably most other things
as well). But you're allowed to be, because you really are better
than everyone else. You take pride in obscurity.
You probably prefer vinyl too, you elitist bitch.


I don't think of myself as narrow minded re: music, but I'm probably not the best judge. I certainly have no problem being an elitist bitch, though.

And now the vinyl collection begins. Several records have already been donated to the cause, notably the classic rockings of The Who, Warren Zevon, and Neil Young. Sunflower also got the indie stone rolling with a few of my favorites: The Crane Wife by The Decemberists, I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning by Bright Eyes, and The Postal Service's Give Up.

(By the way, someone tell the cocks at the RIAA that downloading these albums has directly resulted in real-money purchases of them.)

I recall a couple of J's friends (Teeny and Josh, I think) picking out some choice grooves at a place on Hawthorne. Does anyone else out there in the webosphere still buy vinyl?

3 comments:

Sunflower said...

My sweet little indie snob :)

Sunflower said...

according to this quiz I am " Open minded". " I love indie music, but am not limited to it. I love music in general...I just like what I like. " ...Sounds about right :)

Sunflower said...

So...you ONLY said that because you took that quiz and it said you were an indie snob? You mean...you didn't really want a record player?...:( Oh I do so hope that's not the case! Somehow I don't think it is. :)